Curried barley pilaf recipe
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Main course
- Curry side dish
This is a delicious and savoury curried barley dish. It is quite simple to make and sure to impress!
92 people made this
- 60g butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 300g pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 900ml chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 4 tablespoons sultanas or raisins (optional)
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:50min ›Ready in:55min
- Melt butter in a large frying pan placed over medium-high heat. Add the onion and barley; cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the allspice, turmeric, curry powder, salt and black pepper. Pour in the chicken stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan with lid, and reduce heat to low; simmer until the barley is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Fluff the pilaf with a fork, and gently stir in the almonds and sultanas.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(101)
Reviews in English (77)
I added a block of frozen spinach to this and it added a nice bit of colour and a few extra vitamins, was good.-06 Aug 2017
An average dish-07 Aug 2013
I was so excited to try this because I LOVE barley, and it did not disappoint. I changed the raisins and almonds to peas and carrots because I had just had a bad experience with both (kidney stone anyone???) and we need our veggies! I added 1/2 cup more chicken broth to help cook the carrots and added more curry per other reviews. Also used oil instead of butter. Fantastic taste - I really like the subtle allspice flavor. Ate this with some tilapia - DELISH.-20 Sep 2010